Established in 1998 by Mr. and Mrs. H. Gordon Smyth, the Smyth Education Awards recognize and reward outstanding staff performance in the public schools of Nelson County. During the academic year opening ceremony, in which Mrs. Mary Beth Smyth routinely participates, we recognize ten Smyth Education Award recipients for their exemplary efforts and present them with a plaque and individual cash awards of $1,000.
Individuals wishing to nominate someone for a Smyth Education Award should contact the Nelson County Public Schools.
2016 Smyth Education Award Recipients
- Tom Allen, Special Education, Nelson County High School
- Madalyn Bell, Algebra Teacher, Nelson County High School
- Patricia Beverly, Pre-School Instructional Aide, Tye River Elementary School
- Tracey Fix, Instructional Assistant, Rockfish River Elementary School
- Adrienne Harvey, Fifth Grade Teacher, Rockfish River Elementary School
- Haley Osborne, Fourth Grade Teacher, Rockfish River Elementary School
- Mary Pallone, Data Specialist, Nelson County Public Schools
- Morgan Robertson, Music Teacher, Rockfish River Elementary School
- Maureen Serban, Fourth Grade Teacher, Tye River Elementary School
- Meghan Shortt, Special Education/Pre-Algebra Teacher, Nelson Middle School