The Fritz and Mary Rogers Stout Memorial Scholarship was established in 2006, by Mrs. Stout and her five children, to honor the memory of their beloved husband and father. Mr. Stout was a farmer all of his life and he and his wife owned and operated Bellwood Service Station in the 1950’s (currently Taylor’s Grocery) in Fort Defiance, VA. Education was very important to both of them and remains important to their family, which is why they felt a memorial scholarship would be a wonderful way to honor the memory of their parents.
The Fritz and Mary Rogers Stout Memorial Scholarship was established to provide funds for scholarships to graduating seniors of Fort Defiance High School. Scholarship recipients are eligible to re-apply annually for up to four years for a combined total of $2,000, as long as the recipient continues to meet the scholarship criteria and funds are available. The intent of the scholarship sponsors is to provide educational funding for students planning to pursue a two-year degree or a trade/vocational certification who have financial need. If there are no applicants to satisfy this intent, the scholarship will not be awarded.
- An eligible student must be a graduating senior at Fort Defiance High School
- An eligible student shall demonstrate financial need
- An eligible student must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale
- An eligible student has plans to pursue a two-year degree or a trade/vocational certification
- An eligible student must be a candidate for high school graduation at the end of the current academic year and plan to enroll at an accredited two-year college/university or trade/technical school in the Continental United States the following academic year.
Selection Criteria Used by the Selection Committee
- Financial need – 40%
- Citizenship, school and community service – 40%
- Commitment to academic achievement – 20%
- The candidate will be selected by the Fort Defiance High School scholarship selection committee for recommendation to the Community Foundation, in accordance with the Community Foundation’s Conflict of Interest Policy.
2021 Award Amount
$500 (may reapply annually for three additional years totaling $2,000)
The Fritz and Mary Rogers Stout Memorial Scholarship awards a new scholarship every four years and is not available for the 2021 academic school year.
Please contact the Community Foundation at 540-213-2150 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information and/or clarification.