Director of Nonprofit Services
Community Foundation of the Central Blue Ridge
The Community Foundation of the Central Blue Ridge seeks an accomplished organizational/nonprofit professional for the position of Director of Nonprofit Services. The Director serves as project manager for the Community Grants program, director of the Youth Philanthropy Council, manager of scholarship and award programs, resource to regional nonprofit organizations, and liaison to donor-advised fund partners and corporate fund partners. The Director works closely with the CEO and the Director of Donor Relations in fulfilling the mission of the Community Foundation.
- Plan, organize, and execute the Community Foundation’s annual competitive Community Grants program, including the preparation and delivery of a request for proposals, preparation of public relations materials, managing the online application tool, advising nonprofit organizations, recruiting and managing a grant selection committee, preparing background research, planning and executing the annual awards ceremony, and managing the grant recipient reporting process.
- Direct the activities of the Youth Philanthropy Council, including working closely with area high schools in the selection of YPC members, planning and executing monthly YPC meetings, recruiting speakers, facilitating a youth survey, preparing and delivering a request for proposals, guiding YPC members through the grant application review process, and planning and executing the annual YPC awards ceremony.
- Manage the process of selecting scholarship and award recipients, including the preparation and delivery of notices of available scholarships and awards, managing the online application tool, recruiting selection committees, coordinating the review process, conducting any needed research, communicating with recipients, and planning and executing award ceremonies.
- Maintain regular contact with area nonprofit organizations with the objective of understanding their strategic direction and needs, and supporting and advising nonprofit leaders on a variety of organizational and strategic topics.
- Steward the Community Foundation’s relationship with its donor-advised fund partners and corporate fund partners, including understanding their goals, creating grant application tools as needed, conducting due diligence as needed in support of grant-making decisions, and advising fund partners on community needs and strategic grant opportunities.
- Research grant opportunities in support of Community Foundation strategic initiatives, coordinate the development of grant applications with the CEO, and manage all grant reporting requirements.
- Collaborate closely with the CEO and the Director of Donor Services on all Community Foundation activities.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least 5 years of professional work experience required, and proven expertise in nonprofit/organizational management preferred.
- Commitment to the highest standards of service, product, and professionalism.
- Ability to work independently and in effective collaboration with colleagues, volunteers, and nonprofit leaders in the community.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Effective networker, objective listener, and creative problem solver.
- Skilled and thorough researcher.
- Solid judgment, sensitivity, and discretion in handling confidential information and situations.
- Good understanding of and experience with budgets and financial documents.
- Experience working with effective boards of directors.
- Strong experience facilitating meetings.
- Demonstrated proficiency in use of computer applications and databases.
Submit letter of interest, resume, and current contact information for professional references to:
Dan Layman, CEO
Community Foundation of the Central Blue Ridge
P.O. Box 815
Staunton, VA 24402
Applicants may also submit their application via email to Dan Layman at email@example.com. The deadline for applications is July 12, 2013.
About the Community Foundation (www.communityfoundationcbr.org)
The Community Foundation of the Central Blue Ridge, with its headquarters in Staunton, Virginia, enriches the quality of life by responding to needs and inspiring philanthropy in our community. Founded in 1992, the Community Foundation is one of the largest philanthropic organizations in our region. We serve the communities of Staunton, Waynesboro, and Augusta, Nelson and Highland Counties of Virginia. We offer more than 80 funds and hold over $14 million in assets. The Community Foundation of the Central Blue Ridge helps donors plan and carry out their charitable giving in our community; distributes grants that respond to community needs; works to build a civic endowment, a permanent source of philanthropic funding for our region; and works in partnership with other foundations, public agencies and the business sector, bringing leadership to our local nonprofit community. The Foundation distributed over $550,000 in 2012 in awards, grants, and scholarships. Since the inception of the Community Foundation, the cumulative value of our gifts and grants now exceeds $5.5 million.
The Community Foundation of the Central Blue Ridge is an equal opportunity employer.