For good. For ever.®

Donor Spotlight

Mike and Mary Jim Quillen

We are thrilled to welcome Mike and Mary Jim Quillen to our donor family, as they have recently established a donor-advised fund with the Community Foundation of the Central Blue Ridge.

Mike and Mary Jim moved to Staunton from Birmingham, Alabama where Mike retired from the practice of law and Mary Jim was a teacher. They chose Staunton as their retirement home for its location near their daughter and two grandchildren in Herndon and Mary Jim is a graduate of Mary Baldwin College.

The Quillens are no strangers to the concept of a donor-advised fund, as they established a fund several years ago with the Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham. “A donor-advised fund is not only a way in which to contribute to the community, but is also an excellent financial and estate planning tool,” said Mike. “Partnering with a community foundation to identify and evaluate giving opportunities provides ease of mind and gratification. It is a way to become part of the community.”

Mary Jim and Mike have been pleasantly surprised at the number of cultural activities that the area has to offer. They purchased annual passes for the Heifetz International Music Institute’s summer festival of concerts, the current season of performances at the American Shakespeare Center’s Blackfriars Playhouse, and the Oak Grove Theater season.  “There were evenings this summer when we could have attended any one of three events. We look forward to supporting the many groups that are providing arts and culture in the area,” said Mary Jim.

The Quillens also look forward to supporting local nonprofits that provide social services in the community. Mike volunteered last spring to assist local residents with income tax return preparation through Valley VITA. “As in Birmingham, there are needs in Staunton that nonprofit organizations address and that we hope to be able to help through our donor-advised fund here,” said Mike.

If you are interested in establishing a fund now or later, please contact our staff or talk with your financial advisor and/or estate planning attorney.

Translate »