The Kenneth L. Jones Memorial Scholarship was established in 2007 by Kenneth Jones’ niece and nephew. Kenneth Lee Jones departed this life December 1, 2004 at the age of 99. Mr. Jones, an African-American businessman, founded one of Staunton’s outstanding business establishments, the Kenneth Jones Funeral Home in 1946. In addition, Mr. Jones led the City of Staunton as council member and vice mayor and was involved in many other community related organizations and events.
The Kenneth L. Jones Memorial Scholarship was established to provide one-year scholarships to outstanding seniors attending high schools in Staunton, Waynesboro, or Augusta County. Preference will be given to applicants of African-American heritage.
- An eligible student must be a senior, due to graduate from a public high school in Staunton, Waynesboro, or Augusta County.
- Preference will be given, but not limited, to applicants of African-American heritage.
- An eligible student must demonstrate financial need.
- An eligible student must demonstrate leadership and integrity in expression and behavior through community activities, school-based extra curricular activities, and/or church.
- An eligible student must be accepted at a college/university or vocational program leading to occupational certification.
- An eligible student must have a grade point average (G.P.A.) in the upper half of the class.
- An eligible student must be a candidate for high school graduation at the end of the current academic year and plan to enroll at an accredited two-year or four-year college or university or vocational program in the continental United States the following academic year.
Selection Criteria Used by the Selection Committee
- Financial Need
- Grade point average (GPA) in the upper half of the class
- Will have demonstrated leadership and integrity in expression and behavior through community activities, school-based extracurricular activities, and/or church.
- The candidate will be selected by a Community Foundation appointed Scholarship Selection Committee for recommendation to the Community Foundation, in accordance with the Community Foundation’s Conflict of Interest Policy.
2022 Award Amount
March 1, 2022
Please contact the Community Foundation at 540-213-2150 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information and/or clarification.