The Louis and Emily M. Spilman Scholarship Fund was established to provide annual funds for college scholarships to graduating seniors attending Waynesboro High School, who have demonstrated throughout his/her high school career, a high sense of pride in school and community, a devotion to humanitarian ideals and an interest in writing. The award is continued for each recipient for the four years of his or her undergraduate education provided the student merits the continuation based on the criteria used the first year and funds are available.
- An eligible student must be a graduating senior at Waynesboro High School.
- An eligible student shall demonstrate scholastic achievement, interest in writing, involvement in curricular and/or extra-curricular activities and community involvement.
- An eligible student must be a candidate for high school graduation at the end of the current academic year and plan to enroll at an accredited four-year college or university in the Continental United States the following academic year.
Selection Criteria Used by the Selection Committee
- Academic success attained through an unusual degree of personal motivation as measured by the individual’s ability level.
- Devotion to the principles and philosophy of Waynesboro High School as indicated by active participation in school affairs, both curricular and extra-curricular, and by conduct in keeping with the ideals of the school.
- Pride in community as demonstrated by an interest and participation in local activities and by a personal code indicative of good citizenship and humanitarianism.
- Interest and skill in writing as demonstrated by curricular and/or extra-curricular accomplishments.
- The candidate will be selected by the Waynesboro High School scholarship selection committee for recommendation to the Community Foundation, in accordance with the Community Foundation’s Conflict of Interest Policy.
2021 Award Amount
$1,000 (may reapply annually for three additional years)
March 1, 2021
Please contact the Community Foundation at 540-213-2150 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information and/or clarification.