The Community Foundation established its Youth Philanthropy Council (YPC) in 2008 in an effort to provide opportunities for local youth to gain leadership, consensus building, philanthropic, and decision-making skills, while supporting the needs of their peers. The Foundation hopes to positively influence student’s thinking about community involvement, motivate them to serve on issues that interest them, and prepare the next generation of leaders, philanthropists, volunteers, and board members.
For more information about the Highland County YPC: YPC: Highland County
This year, the YPC is comprised of 15 sophomores, juniors, and seniors from ten local public and private high schools in the cities of Staunton and Waynesboro, and Augusta County. Through a grant making structure, the students learn about community needs, particularly those related to youth.
Since the early stages of the pandemic, many community members were unable to provide basic needs for their families. As a result, it created stressors within households. The YPC believes that alleviating these stressors will have a positive impact and support children, youth, and families as a whole.
FUNDING PRIORITY: The YPC announces the availability of $30,000 in grant funding and invites nonprofit organizations to submit an application addressing the following priority:
Programs and services that assist community members with essential/basic needs, and in doing so, reduce family stressor, which in turn benefit children and youth.*
*Essential/basic needs defined as: physical, mental, and emotional health; childcare; housing and homelessness (rent and utilities –particularly the internet); and food insecurity.
- Deadline: Sunday, February 28, 2021 by 11:59 p.m. EST (Midnight)
- Grant Size: Requests for funding up to $5,000
- Notification: Grant announcements will be made early to mid-April, 2021
- Distribution: Grants will be distributed by early May, 2021
- YPC Grant Application (2021) in a Word document
REVIEW PROCESS: As part of their grant-making process, the YPC will review each completed application, interview applicants, if the deem necessary, and select the recipients in early April, 2021.
RESTRICTIONS: The YPC does not provide funding for the following:
- Organizations not exempt under Section 501(c) (3) of the IRS;
- Religious organizations, unless the particular program will benefit a large portion of the community without regard to religious affiliation.
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of age, color, citizenship, disability, disabled veteran status, gender, race, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, military service or status.
For more information about YPC, including how to participate and/or apply for a grant, we encourage you to contact Miriam Burrows (firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-213-2150 ).